Sunday, October 3, 2010
preparation to write for the Tempest
I can honestly say I did not like the book The Tempest at first because I really had no idea of what was going on. But as we got into groups and started to discuss about it I started to enjoy it a bit more. In those discussions of "The Tempest" that we had, one controversial issue has been the debate between the themes of colonialism and imperialism of the time. On the one hand, Shakespeare meant for that The Tempest is to arugue this issue of during his time. Aime Cesaire discusses the theme of imperialism in Shakespeare's work. Her rewrite titled "A Tempest" of a comical writing style to emphasize imperialism and colonialism in Shakespeare's "The Tempest". On the other hand, others who have analzyed Shakespeare's work have come to the conclusion of a few different meanings. One example is Stepehen Greenblatt. He emphasizes his views on how imperialism affected the Native Americans. On the other hand, other critics, such as George Will, believes that this analysis of the text takes away the original meaning that the author intended to convey to the reader. These two critics have different views of Shakespeare's ideas. But who knows which one of them maybe right. There are many other views of Shakespeare. There would never be a "right" answer to everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment